Get a Kit
Don’t wait too late to start preparing an emergency kit. Most of the items you will need can be found in your home, however, you will want to have them in one place that is easy to access if disaster stikes.
- Water – 1 gallon per person per day for 3 to 7 days
- Food – non-perishable and canned food supply for 3 to 7 days
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and National oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Weather Radio with extra batteries
- Cell phone with charger
- First aid kit and first aid book
- Flashlight and extra batteries
- Manual can opener for food
- Anti-bacterial hand wipes or gel
- Wrench or pliers to turn off water
- Blanket or sleeping bag – 1 per person
- Prescription medications and glasses
- Seasonal change of clothing, including sturdy shoes
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, feminine supplies
- Extra house and car keys
- Important documents – insurance policies, copy of driver’s license, Social Security card, bank account records
- Fire extinguisher
- Cash and change
- Books, games or card
You and your family members may have specials needs. You will need to think about this when preparing your kit. If you have a baby, do not forget formula, bottles, diapers, baby wipes, pacifiers, soap, clothing, and blankets. For adults, contact lenses, medications, and dentures are a few items you need to keep in mind.
You should also have basic first aid supplies on hand to help you if you have an injured family member or friend. You can learn more about what you will need in your first aid kit at ReadyNC.org.
Don’t Forget Your Pets
You will need to have supplies for your pets as well including:
- Canned or dry pet food
- Water for 3 to 7 days
- Food dishes
- Muzzle, collar and leash
- Immunization records
- Identification tag (should contain pet name and phone number)
- Current photos of your pets in case they become lost
- Medicine your pet requires
- Pet beds and toys
- Pet carrier
- Proper fitting muzzle
Make a Plan
Once you have your kit prepared, it is time to make a plan. You may not be with friends and family members when the storm hits and you will need to know how you can get in touch with them. Establish a family meeting place that is familiar and easy to find. Download this Family Emergency Plan to fill out in advance. You can learn more about how to make a plan at ReadyNC.org.
The best way to keep your family safe is by staying informed and on top of the situation. Download the ReadyNC app for real-time weather updates, evacuations, power outages, traffic updates, and more.