HGTV recently listed ten “cleaning tips for millennials that mom forgot to mention.” After we read over the tips – we think they can be helpful to people of all ages and in all stages of life. Are you a first-time homeowner or planning to put your home on the market soon? These easy tips will help you stay on top of the housework. Check out our top five favorite cleaning tips below and view the full article here.
- Keep your coffee maker clean. This is important, not only at home but at the office as well. First thing in the morning, we feel like we cannot get to the coffee soon enough but the water tank of single-serve coffee makers can easily become a breeding ground for mold and bacteria. When was the last time you cleaned your Keurig? If you cannot remember, it is time! Try running vinegar through it periodically to remove buildup.
- Keep the garbage disposal clean. Smell something funky in your kitchen? The likely culprit is the sink! You can purchase cleaning pods and liquids to stick down to get rid of that nasty built up food. This is especially important for first-time homeowners who may have not had to deal with this in the past.
- Wash the washer. You put your dishwasher through a lot! Old food can get built up inside your dishwasher and even lead to clogs down the road. Make sure you are taking the time to clean it as well as it cleans your dishes.
- Freshen up your mattress. You probably remember to wash the sheets, but did you know you need to wash your mattress as well? Use a vacuum and baking soda to get rid of any odor.
- Leave the lint behind. You may not check behind your dryer very often, but there could be major trouble that you are not seeing. Lint catchers do not remove everything and some of the lint gets left behind in the vent. Forgetting to clean this out can be a fire hazard. It is important to go behind your dryer every few months to clean all the lint from the area, especially lint that is inside the vent. Not only will it make your dryer safer, but it will also help your clothes dry faster.